If you or a family member are allergic to pets, don’t despair. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you cannot keep your furry, feathery, or scaly friends around. If your allergy isn’t very serious and your doctor says you can have pets but with extra care, you simply have to stick to a few rules and enjoy being a pet owner.
Explore the allergy
Living with pets can be an amazing experience, but for sensitive individuals, it can also cause uncomfortable and even dangerous allergic reactions. As such, it is imperative to learn more about allergies, their triggers, and ways to mitigate their effects.
What are the most common allergies related to pets?
Pet dander and dead skin cells can trigger a wide array of reactions, with effects ranging from mild to severe. Some of the most common are:
- Allergic rhinitis (Hay fever) occurs when the immune system overreacts to pet allergens, such as pet dander, saliva, or urine. This can cause sneezing, itchy eyes, and a runny or stuffy nose. In severe cases, allergic rhinitis can also cause asthma symptoms, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing.
- Skin allergies can be caused by direct contact with pet hair or skin, or by exposure to pet allergens in the environment. Symptoms can include itching, hives, and skin rashes. In some cases, these reactions can be severe and require medical treatment.
- Eye irritation can be uncomfortable and affect vision. Symptoms can include red, itchy, and watery eyes, as well as cause swelling and puffiness around the eyes, making you look tired or sick.
It’s important to note that different people may experience different types of reactions, and the severity of symptoms can vary depending on the individual. However, with proper management and care, many pet owners still enjoy the company of their feathery, scaly, or furry friend, despite their sensitivity.
How to manage allergens in your house?
If you or a family member is an allergy sufferer, it’s imperative to take steps to create a comfortable home environment. Here are some strategies you can use to manage allergic symptoms:
Get the necessary medication
If you suspect that you or someone in your family is allergic to pet dander (or any other type of contaminant such as dust mites or mold spores), it’s highly advisable to see a doctor or allergist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Medication can be prescribed or bought over the counter, depending on the severity of the allergy. Anyway, you should make sure you take the medication regularly to keep the allergic reaction under control.
This is almost like medication – practically essential. Air purifiers are a phenomenal investment for pet owners with allergies. These devices use air filters to remove pet hair, dander, and other airborne allergens from the air.
It is highly recommended to look for a purifier that has HEPA filters as it is the best air filter available today. Dander is microscopic but HEPA filters can capture tiny particles, even those as small as .3 microns.
Lastly, be sure to place air purifiers in the rooms where you spend the most time, such as the living room or bedroom. It will be the best solution to improve overall indoor air quality, plus, it will benefit asthma patients a lot, even without pets in the picture.
This is especially important for the days when your allergy is giving you a hard time. Having a place that is absolutely free of pet dander will be your oasis. To secure this, there must be a place in the house where your cats or dogs will have no access at all.
Consider designating certain areas of your home, such as bedrooms or a home office, as pet-free zones. This can help limit the amount of pet hair and dander that accumulates in these areas, and provide a safe space for you to retreat to.
Cleanliness up to par
Regular cleaning is one of the most effective ways to manage allergens in your home. For the best effect, focus on the following:
- Vacuum often: It is the best way of removing pet dander. Pay attention to detail and be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies you can reach.
- Carpet cleaning: Carpet fibers collect dander in your home like nothing else, so pay them extra care, and don’t neglect area rugs either.
- Wipe surfaces: Dander and other allergens accumulate on most surfaces in your home, even those cats can’t reach, so be sure to dust and wipe every piece of furniture regularly.
- Upholstered furniture: These are often overlooked, but they are similar to carpets in that they are dander magnets. You can use a lint roller as a first aid, but a much better option is to steam clean this type of furniture at least once a month.
- Pet’s bedding and toys: Wash them weekly or, at least, by-weekly and keep them away from areas where sensitive members of your household spend a lot of time.
Aside from the above activities, it’s highly advisable to hire an allergy house cleaning service to do a deep clean at least once a month. That way, it will be impossible for hair and pet dander in your home to pile up over time.
Proper grooming and hygiene practices for pets
Part and parcel of being a responsible pet owner is to keep your little friends clean. The most important things here are:
- Regularly bathing your cat or dog with a pet-friendly shampoo (once a week or every other week will suffice) will help get rid of allergens from their skin and coat.
- Brushing them several times a week helps remove loose hair and dander, and gives you a chance to bond with your pet.
In addition, be sure to keep their little corner clean to further reduce the number of allergens in your home. Litter boxes that are inside the house should be kept clean and regularly washed with hot water and pet-friendly cleaning agents.
Lastly, if your pet is in a cage, be sure to keep it clean and tidy. The same goes for the area around the cage, which you should vacuum and then mop to remove dander, pet hair, and other contaminants that are causing you issues.
Enjoy the company of your pet with allergy house cleaning services of top quality!
If you’re experiencing allergy symptoms caused by your pet, but can’t stand the thought of having them out of your life, MaidThis! is here to help! With our help, you can find top-notch allergy cleaning services to keep your home hygienic and allergen-free.
We collaborate with some of the most reputable cleaners in Los Angeles who are wholly dedicated to their job. Whether you need help removing pet dander, maintaining household surfaces, or even cleaning all the walls in your home, all you need to do is reach out to us!