You probably enter your garage every day, but how often do you tend to it? Probably only when you get too frustrated because you can’t find what you’ve been looking for. Well, you’re not the only one. Most people just ignore the mess in their garages and focus on other maintenance challenges.
But it’s your garage, isn’t it? Your belongings are stored there, and it’d make your life easier if you didn’t have to kick a box on the floor to open your car door or spend hours looking for your inline skates. That being said, professionals from Manhattan Beach, CA, who offer cleaning services in the area, share some tips and tricks on tidying up and sanitizing your garage. Read on!
How often should you clean your garage?
Ideally, you should tackle your garage every few months. This might sound too often, indeed. But, if you scrub your garage regularly, dust mites, mold, and other allergens won’t be able to multiply and spread throughout your entire house.
Additionally, you’ll keep your garage well-organized and be able to locate your items without turning the whole room upside down.
How do I clean and sanitize my garage?
As is the case with tidying up your attic, restoring order in a neglected garage is a time-consuming process that needs to be carried out carefully. There are specific steps you should follow. Check them out.
- Prepare your supplies. These include a broom, a dustpan, a mop, a bucket, a vacuum cleaner, microfiber cloths, warm water, dish soap, EPA-approved disinfectants, trash bags, and PPE (gloves, mask, and safety glasses).
- Empty your garage. Everything that gets in your way should be taken out of the garage. This way, you’ll be able to wipe and sanitize all surfaces and scrutinize your belongings to decide what you actually need and what you can donate or throw away.
- Applying the top-to-bottom approach addresses every inch of the garage. This means you need to wash and sanitize the highest corners of the room first and gradually move towards the floor that should be tended to last. Pay special attention to cabinets and make sure to cover their interior too.
- If you have any curtains and entryway rugs, wash them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop the floor. Gather any large pieces of debris with your broom, and don’t forget to go under any articles of furniture. Then vacuum the floor, mop it and disinfect it with a disinfectant of your choice.
- Sort your belongings and put them back where they belong. You might need to invest in additional shelves, hooks, or cabinets to keep everything neat in the longer run. Also, pack things so that they’re readily available. For instance, don’t put your kids’ toys on the top shelf as they won’t be able to reach them.
- Don’t use feather dusters as they spread contaminants everywhere. Damp microfiber cloths trap dirt efficiently.
- Make sure to wear your PPE and handle the cleaning chemicals with care.
- If you use bleach to disinfect your garage, keep the area well-ventilated to protect your health and safety. If inhaled, bleach can cause nausea and headaches.
Where in Manhattan Beach, CA, can I find reliable cleaning services for my household?
Finding trustworthy maintenance experts for your property in Manhattan Beach has never been easier with MaidThis at your side. We’re a locally-owned referral company that cooperates with top industry professionals in the field.
Tell us what you need, and we’ll match you with experienced cleaners that will go the extra mile to make your home fresh and tidy. Go jogging at Sand Dune Park and forget about your messy living space. You can trust the best industry professionals with it. Book now!