Attics are the least frequented areas of most people’s houses. They usually serve as storage rooms, and nobody enters them unless absolutely necessary. So it’s no wonder they tend to be covered with cobwebs, dust, and other impurities.
But your attic is an integral part of your home, and dust mites thriving there can quickly spread throughout your entire house. So maybe this fall, it’s time for you to roll up your sleeves and restore order in this long-forgotten room. If unsure how, professionals who offer cleaning services throughout Manhattan Beach, CA, will share some tips with you. Check out this short guide on how to tidy up your attic. Read on!
How often should I clean the attic?
Attics are one of those out-of-sight-out-of-mind areas. You probably remember yours only when you need extra storage space for belongings you don’t need anymore.
But neglected attics are a breeding ground for dust mites, pests, and mold. These can enter your living space through HVAC systems, recessed lighting, attic doors, and ceiling hatches and lower your home’s indoor air quality.
Poor indoor quality can cause many health issues, including allergies and asthma. For these reasons, attics should be tended to seasonally. But since you’re probably overburdened with other obligations, once a year would suffice, depending on the size of the attic and the items you hold there.
A bonus tip
Pick a day with a moderate temperature to complete this maintenance mission, as your attic probably has no air conditioning or heating.
How do I get rid of the thick dust in my attic?
The layer of dust can be incredibly thick, especially if you’ve failed to deal with the area for a long time. But with this simple guide, you’ll get rid of it efficiently.
- Gather your cleaning supplies. You’ll need a bunch of microfiber cloths, warm water, dish soap, a bucket, a broom, a dustpan, trash bags, a vacuum cleaner, a mop, a sealer, and PPE (gloves, face mask, and safety glasses).
- Empty the attic. This will enable direct access to surfaces you need to address. But if you have too much cumbersome furniture and can’t take it out, push everything to one corner while you tend the other parts of the room.
- Seal holes and gaps. This step is essential as these tiny gaps let pests and allergens in. So check the entire attic carefully and use a high-quality sealer to close any holes.
- Dust carefully. Avoid using feather dusters as they stimulate the circulation of airborne allergens. Instead, grab a microfiber cloth, dampen it, and wipe the ceiling, beams, light fixtures, walls, windows, doors, and frames until they’re dust-free. You’ll probably need more than one microfiber cloth, and make sure to replace the water once it gets cloudy.
- Sweep and vacuum the entire room. It’s essential to sweep first as you don’t want to damage your vacuum cleaner with large pieces of debris.
- Mop the floor with warm water and dish soap if there is flooring instead of just joists. Rinse thoroughly and dry well.
- Check the insulation and remove dust from it. This will increase your home’s energy efficiency and improve indoor air quality.
- Return everything where it belongs, taking time to organize all items wisely.
To protect yourself while tidying up, wear appropriate PPE.
Who offers top-notch cleaning services in Manhattan Beach, CA?
Have you just restored order in your garage and have no energy to deal with the mess in your living room? No worries, MaidThis will send qualified professionals to your doorstep in Manhattan Beach.
We screen each maid carefully before sending them to your address so you can have a fun day at Manhattan Beach Botanical Garden without worrying about your home’s safety. Schedule an appointment today!
Find A Location Near Me