For Residential Home Cleaning
For Vacation Rental Hosts
How to Clean & Disinfect Your Fridge in 8 Easy Steps
The fridge is the most frequently used and indispensable household appliance. After all, that’s where we store the food our families will eat! Since it’s so important, you should always strive to keep your fridge as pristine as possible.
Of course, by far the easiest way to do this is to book a recurring house cleaning service in Mar Vista. But what if you don’t have the time to call in the pros, or if you simply want the satisfaction of doing it yourself?
If so, you’re in luck, because we’ve prepared a brief 8-step guide that will make keeping your fridge fresh and sanitary at all times as easy as 1-2-3! Keep reading to learn more.
How do I clean and disinfect my refrigerator?
Fridges can get messy in a hurry, especially if you live in a large household. Cleaning your fridge on a regular basis not only keeps germs and parasites at bay, but also ensures that your fridge looks as presentable as possible.
To make your fridge sparkling and germ-free again, follow these 8 steps:
- Take everything out, double-check the expiration dates of your food, and throw away spoiled items. Make sure not to leave fridge-kept food at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Detach any removable parts and let them warm up a little at room temperature (if they get in contact with hot water as soon as you take them out, they will crack). Then, wash them in hot soapy water and dry them with a clean cloth.
- Wipe down the interior with hot soapy water. Make sure to cover all surfaces (drawers, inside the door, etc.). Then, rinse with clean water and dry with a clean towel.
- Now, it’s time to disinfect. Mix 1 tablespoon of bleach with a gallon of water and use this solution to sanitize your refrigerator.
- Return everything to the fridge. Before you put your food back into the fridge, wipe the containers with warm soapy water, rinse and dry.
- Wipe the exterior of the fridge with soapy water too. Rinse it, dry it, and then disinfect it with a bleach solution.
- Clean the kitchen counters with soapy water too. Rinse, dry, and sanitize.
- Finally, don’t forget to wash your hands and put the used towels into your washing machine.
Be mindful of hazardous fumes when sanitizing with bleach. Keep your kitchen well-ventilated while you clean and don’t forget that bleach can damage some surfaces, including marble and stainless steel.
Can I use vinegar to clean my fridge?
If you’re used to applying white vinegar all around your house (you use it for cleaning your cabinets in the kitchen, you can’t imagine wiping your kitchen counters without it, you de-grease your microwave with it, etc. ), we have great news for you.
You can use white vinegar to clean your fridge too. Not only can it remove gunk and baked-on food remains, but it can also work as a disinfectant. It can kill some food-borne bacteria such as E-coli and Salmonella. The vinegar cleaning procedure is pretty simple: mix equal parts white vinegar and water into a spray bottle and apply it to your fridge.
As for the removable parts, you can cover them with your water and vinegar mixture too. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to allow white vinegar to cut through any hardened grime. Then, wipe everything off with a clean cloth.
Where can I book a reliable house cleaning service in Mar Vista?
Unpleasant odors coming from your fridge aren’t appetizing, are they? You know it, but you simply don’t have time to give the fridge the scrubbing it needs. If this is your situation, your best course of action is to have the professionals do it for you.
Here at MaidThis, we specialize in matching our clients with the very finest cleaners in Mar Vista. They will happily take care of your home cleaning for you while you have fun with your kids at the Grand Park or attend to your other obligations! Call us today!